The Lariat

FHS Competes in Vans Competition

This year the FHS art program entered the Vans shoe competition, and so far they have made it to the finals. To enter the competition a few chosen students painted Vans shoes with their own creative designs and submitted them in the contest. The finalists are on a website where people can vote for their favorite pairs of shoes.

“The winner of the contest will be determined 50% on art and 50% on votes,” Mrs. Wise said.

People are excited that FHS students are involved in something with people from all over the country.

“It’s a cool idea that students can participate in something with the whole nation that deals with more than just the Friendswood community,” sophomore Dani Chytilova.

Participants feel that this year’s vans have a good chance of winning based on their artistic designs.

”I think Friendswood is full of great artists and we already made it to the top 50,” senior Meg Schatte said. “We have already done very well so far but I believe we can still place very high in our region, but that may just be my opinion because I’m proud of the artwork I’ve done on the shoes and what others have done on the shoes.”

Parents and community members anxiously anticipate the results of the competition.

“The art students have done an amazing job with the shoes they have created for the Vans competition,” Mrs. Bobbit, a parent and technology aid said. “Each pair is so creative and unique. You can tell they have put a lot of time and effort into their projects. Another great representation of our talented art students.”