The Lariat

Collegiate Offers Students Head Start

Back to Article
Back to Article

Collegiate Offers Students Head Start

Bridget Tindal, Staff Writer

At Friendswood High School, students can opt to participate in Collegiate High School (CHS) at College of the Mainland and earn both college and high school credit for their courses.

CHS gives students the opportunity to earn both a college and a high school degree. This means students get two years of college out of the way before even graduating, saving time and money. Sandra Blecher, the director of CHS at College of the Mainland, believes in this process.

“Through collegiate high school, you can get your AA degree at the same time that you complete your high school diploma,” Blecher said. “College of the Mainland offers Collegiate students 40% off the regular price of tuition.”

Some students avoid CHS because of the notion that it is more difficult than high school. Karley Waters finds that CHS is actually easier than high school.

“Collegiate High School is on a block schedule so we have fewer classes and they’re longer so we can learn more in one class,” Waters said.  “It’s slower paced and more laid back than high school.”

In addition to thinking CHS is harder, many students believe that CHS puts them at a disadvantage socially because they aren’t routinely at the high school campus. Waters has experienced the opposite.

“I love it. I’m at an advantage socially because I participate in both the high school and the college,” Waters said. “I have kept my friends from Friendswood High School and made new ones in CHS.”

However, CHS is not for everyone. For those that are planning to go to college out of state, the credits may not transfer. FHS counselor, Amy Otwell, advises students to check with colleges before participating in CHS.

“Texas schools are more inclined to transfer these credits,” Otwell said. “Since less out of state schools transfer these credits, we advise students to check with the colleges they are considering. Usually if students are considering out of state schools they opt to take AP classes on campus at FHS.”

CHS provides a different learning environment geared toward preparing students for college. It gives students a chance to experience college level classes and clubs.

“Collegiate high school offers a more mature learning environment to students,” Blecher said. “It gives them the opportunity to belong to collegiate level student organizations and clubs.”

For more information, go to http://www.com.edu/collegiate-high-school, or contact Ramona Wadding, Administrative Assistant for CHS, at rwadding@com.edu.