The Lariat

Sing the Bells of Notre Dame!

Back to Article
Back to Article

Sing the Bells of Notre Dame!

William Clyburn, Garrett McGregor, JC Mills in

William Clyburn, Garrett McGregor, JC Mills in "Hunchback" (Photos courtesy of Mrs. Powdrell)

Macey Tannos, Staff Writer

Friendswood High School theatre program is putting on the musical, The Hunchback of Notre Dame for the community and surrounding areas. After numerous rehearsals the show will debut on February 2 at the Friendswood High School auditorium.

“It’s a show that not many high schoolers really know. Hunchback is one of the lesser known of the disney animated movies,” musical director Mr. Tyer said. “I think it’s exciting for people to come in and experience something where they don’t know in advance what to expect.”

The people putting this show together have been working hard for months on end. The actors started practicing their scripts in November and have given up much of their free time, spending afternoons rehearsing the music, dances, and scenes.

“The first rehearsal we had with all the leads singing together was a really nice time of being together as one,” four year senior Garrett Morris said. “We all saw how much potential this show has and how much we can put into this show to make it really great.”

The crew for musical does intensive amounts of work as well. They start building the set in November during and after school hours. They come in early and stay late, they even come in on days the actors don’t, to continue their hard work on the set and cleaning up areas.

“On show days a lot of us like to get there thirty minutes to an hour early and after we stay until everything closes up,” Set Head, Jacob Jaime said. “At some points it gets frustrating, but it’s really fun being hands on.”

The pit band also plays an enormous role by providing the show with music. They start rehearsals separate from the actors and singers and are then added together during tech week. This musical, Hunchback, is trombone player Sam Mills’s first show.

“We’ve been working really hard, it’s rewarding seeing what we’re playing to come onto the stage with the actors.” Mills said.

Musical auditions were open to anyone at the high school, so students without music, dance, or theatre experience have come together to make this production.

“Taking all these different backgrounds and combining them into one show is a really neat process.” Tyer said.

Although the snow days were exciting and eventful for most of the community, the musical production was put to a halt, causing everyone to be a bit off schedule.

“The snow days and moving the set off and back, were meeting some challenges and deadlines in the physical world of the play,” Powdrell said. “We have lots of last minute details such as light, smoke, and flashes, all to come together and we only have two days to do it, so the snow didn’t help us.”

The show impacts not just the audience but the people who put it together.

“This is my 29th musical. It’s an important part of our lives, my whole family. My father used to come and build benches and help with the set, my children, all four of them, were performers in the musical, even my granddaughter,” Powdrell said. “It’s a very big part of the Powdrell family and it’s an honor to continue the legacy.”

Garrett Morris as Quasimodo

Students are excited to perform this compelling musical for their community.

“The show is a really moving story about friendship and acceptance, about how everyone should love each other no matter what you look like or who you are, a gypsy or an ugly hunchback,” Morris said. “It’s been a long for years, but I love every second of it.”

Musical creates moments that the cast and audience will remember forever.

“It’s those quiet moments when the actors and the ensemble take the breath away from a huge audience.” Powdrell said

Tech week is coming to an end as February 2nd approaches, the production is almost ready for everyone to see what they have created.

“The reward and the payoff is to see our students that we’ve mentored and guided and pushed and herded and all of that, achieve that level of excellence.” Powdrell said.

After the musical’s debut, there will be following performances on the 3rd, 4th, 9th, 10th, and 11th at the Friendswood High School auditorium.