The Lariat

Choir Sends Six Singers to San Antonio

Back to Article
Back to Article

Choir Sends Six Singers to San Antonio

Back: William Clyburn, Craig Davenport, Claire Clauson
Front: Jamie Laurents, Kacie Bridwell, Katie Rodriguez-Keklak

Back: William Clyburn, Craig Davenport, Claire Clauson Front: Jamie Laurents, Kacie Bridwell, Katie Rodriguez-Keklak

Mr. Tyer

Mr. Tyer

Mr. Tyer

Kamrynn Hentes, Staff Writer

Kacie Birdwell and Katie Rodriguez-Keklak know all too well the strenuous process of preparing for Choir All State, a choir competition to which students practice collegiate level music with foreign dialect and perform it in front of a panel of judges. All State Choir has a  four audition process; the auditions ran September through January. Each stage has new music, so as they advance to the next level, they continue to learn music. Six FHS advanced to the State level: William Clyburn, Craig Davenport, Claire Clauson, Jamie Laurents, Kacie Bridwell and Katie Rodriguez-Keklak.

“We rehearse with them Monday through Thursday before and after school for about an hour,” Mr. Tyer, the choir director, said. “The music is really difficult, it’s collegiate level, and very challenging. We have seniors who have been doing it for years, and some classmates doing it for their first time, so we want to make sure everyone is prepared.”

Auditions requires extensive practice, and the students have to know their marks as well as sometimes sing in another unknown language, and expected to sing it beautifully.

“It’s not only about how pretty your voice is, it’s also about how well you can perform your music and technique.  I had to pick at the music, I looked at it and had to decide what I was going to do in each tiny part of the piece,” Katie Rodriguez- Keklak said. “The music and what to do with it came naturally to me after long hours of practice.” 

Mr. Tyer, who has been a choir director for 15 years, is enjoying his first year as the head director. Part of his responsibility is to walk students through the audition process.

“The students get really focused in, when we arrive at the school I say good luck, and leave, and don’t see them until they get the results,” Tyer said.  “The day that we get results is some of the best and worst days all combined in, because some are so excited and others worked so hard and are disappointed when they don’t do as well.”

Mr. Tyer jokingly reminisced on how many of his past students tended to fall asleep before their audition.

“There’s those goofy moments when a kid would accidentally fall asleep through their number and miss their audition. Mostly tenors,” he added with a smile.

Freshman Kacie Birdwell enjoyed her personal process for preparing for All State during her first year.

“I started preparing for the auditions in May of last year and in October was the first audition. At the four auditions (district, region, pre-area, area) they narrowed down the group of singers until area where they chose the groups that performs at the TMEA convention this month,” she said. “Throughout the process I was terrified that I would mess up and be cut. At the later auditions even a small mistake could cost you your spot.”

Melissa Smith, our other choir director, has her own favorite aspects of All State.

“I think the most exciting part is to get a 4 year all-stater. Someone who makes it their Freshman year, then make it every year after that – it’s kind of a big distinction,” Mrs. Smith said. “Something I love about this year is that we had so many placed that were not Seniors. We also had a lot of singers that didn’t make all state that I feel are caliber singers; they’re just really talented, and the competition is just so steep.”  

On February 14th, the 6 musicians will travel to the Texas Music Educator’s Association Convention in San Antonio, where they will perform at the convention on Saturday, February 17th.