The Lariat

Upcoming Movies in 2018

Maddie Smith, Chief Editor, Writer

Movies are a go-to option for entertainment anytime of the year, but as school starts and fall approaches, the theaters get a little more packed. For good reason, too, as seeing a new movie is a great outlet to escape school and enter a fictional world for a bit. 2018 is looking promising in terms of high-quality, appealing films, ranging from laugh-out-loud comedies to deep and inspiring dramas.

Dramas & Romance
Operation Finale, Aug 29 – Based on the true story, a team of agents attempt to track down the man who orchestrated the logistics which successfully lead millions of innocent Jews to concentration camps where they would inevitably meet their deaths. The starring protagonist is played by Oscar Isaac while the evil antagonist is played by Ben Kingsley.

Beautiful Boy, Oct 12 – Based on a true story, Beautiful Boy tells the story of a boy, his father, and their relationship through years of addiction, relapse, and recovery. This heart wrenching yet inspiring drama stars Steve Carell and Timothee Chalamet.

Timothee Chalamet (left) and Steve Carell (right) in Beautiful Boy.

The Hate U Give, Oct 19 – Based on the popular novel, Starr (played by Amandla Stenberg) takes a stand through activism after she watches her best friend die from a gunshot by a police officer.

First Man, Oct 12 – Based on the book by James R. Hansen, this dramatic adventure follows Neil Armstrong (played by Ryan Gosling) and NASA from 1961-1969 as they race to put a man on the moon.

Comedy

Night School, Sept 28 – After Teddy (played by Kevin Hart) blows up his workplace, he is forced to enroll in night school in order to get his GED. The task is made a little more daunting with the interesting classmates and teacher who accompany him.

Holmes and Watson, Dec 21 – Will Ferrell and John C. Reilly star in this parody of Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle.

The Old Man & the Gun, Sept 28 – A 70 year old man escapes from a California state prison and begins to rob banks in a mysterious way which tangle police and makes headlines.

Robert Redford (right) in The Old Man and the Gun.

Fantasy

The Grinch, Nov 9 – The Grinch schemes to spoil Christmas for all of Whoville.

The Grinch (2018)

A House With a Clock in Its Walls, Sept 21 – Based on the children’s book by John Bellairs, A House With a Clock in Its Walls tells the story of Lewis Barnavelt. Lewis, recently orphaned, goes to live with his uncle, and inadvertently unlocks a hidden world of witches and warlocks which bring the quiet town to life. Jack Black and Cate Blanchett star in this thrilling mystery.

Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald, Nov 16 – Newt Scamander and Albus Dumbledore unite to stop the evil Gellert Grindelwald from putting pure-blood witches and wizards in authority over non-magical people.

Mary Poppins Returns, Dec 21 – Set in 1930s London, Mary Poppins (played by Emily Blunt) returns to help Jane and Michael find and regain the happiness that filled their childhoods.

Mary Poppins Returns (2018)

Horror & Thrillers

The Nun, Sept 7 – A prequel to the Conjuring and Annabelle, The Nun focuses on the investigation of a nun who committed suicide by a priest (played by Demian Bichir) and apprentice (played by Taissa Farmiga). They travel to Romania to unearth the secrets of the death, and are met with a demonic and vengeful power which threatens not only their religious faith, but their very souls.

Halloween, Oct 19 – Michael Myers returns to Haddonfield, Illinois 40 years after his attack on Laurie Strode, but this time, she is prepared.

Venom, Oct 6 – After becoming infected with a parasite, Eddie Brock (played by Tom Hardy) develops supernatural powers.

Kin, Aug 31 – A former prison convict and his brother must go up against a villian with a supernatural army with only a mysterious weapon. James Franco, Carrie Coon, and Dennis Quaid star in this Sci-Fi thriller.

Alan Markfield
Jack Reynor (left) and Myles Truitt (right) in Kin.