The Lariat

New Safety Procedures Added to Campus

Dani Fischer, Editor

As the start of the school year kicks off, so does the implementation of new safety procedures. It is not a surprise to hear that the school is enforcing new rules, for the well-being of the students, faculty, and learning environment.

The campus has increased police presence to keep the campus patrolled. The campus has also hired additional sets of eyes. Two full time safety monitors work to monitor the hallways and parking lots during classes to look for any suspicious activity.

“New measures are necessary in order to keep us safe,” senior Jonathon Estrada said. “FHS has faced reality by adapting to recent occurrences.”

The school now has a new counselor position. Amy Otwell, the Student Support Counselor is available specifically to work with students dealing with a variety of social and emotional difficulties.

“I hope to help students feel safe, secure, resilient, accepted and empowered to achieve their goals and personal best,” Otwell said. “My door is always open.”

“See Something, Say Something” allows officials to receive reports on students breaking school policy. These reports can be investigated and actions can be made immediately.

“[The program] has been working very well this year and helps administrators and campus police deal with any threats or violations of school policy,” Assistant Principal Paul Tucker said.

Students are now required to have their lanyard visible and student ID on them at all times.

“I know more students have their lanyards on and have their ID when I’ve asked for it,” Melissa Victorick s

aid. “We have wonderful students who are able to see the reason behind a change.”

However, some students struggle to adjust to the new restrictions.

When I started school here it was very apparent that everyone at Friendswood trusted one another,” junior Kayla Van Orden said. “I never used to fear opening the door for someone who was arriving to school late or someone who was coming back from their car.”

Teachers and students have been prepared on what actions to make in every possible situation. Mr. Tucker hopes that the shifts in policy will be understood by staff and students. 

“The purpose of all changes is to make the school a safer place for everyone,” he said.