The Lariat

Upcoming Lady Mustang Volleyball Season

Back to Article
Back to Article

Upcoming Lady Mustang Volleyball Season

Erika Sykes, Writer and Editor

It’s that time of the year where the new volleyball season starts back up. This year brings a new team, new players, and most importantly a whole new district. The Friendswood Mustang Volleyball team certainly has their work cut out for them in this upcoming season through pre-season and district play.

“This year our biggest challenges will be a lack of varsity experience and trying to get good team chemistry,” said Varsity Assistant Coach Shayna Sauers.

The varsity team chosen this year has a wide range of age groups and variety. This team features five seniors including captains Elle McGowan and Lauren Hubbard. Also, five juniors were included on the team, all brand new to varsity. An unusual aspect of this years varsity team is the larger younger age group that made the team. Three sophomores and one freshman play including starters Kate Bueche (freshman) and Ashlyn Svoboda (sophomore).

“Our leaders on varsity are our returning players Elle and Lauren,” said Varsity player Samantha Page. “Lauren has a lot of energy on the court and Elle is a very skilled player.”

Another unusual challenge to this year’s season is a brand new district. Since last year we have moved down from 6A to 5A which means a whole new list of competitors for district.

“The district we are in this year, 22-5A, should have a little easier competition than 24-6A,” Coach Sauers said. “The schools with the strongest teams this year are Santa Fe, Goose Creek Memorial, and Texas City.”

This volleyball preseason has been full of ups and downs for the Lady Mustangs. Though they jump-started to a rocky beginning, they pulled out a first place win at a very important George Ranch Tournament beating several 6A teams for the gold. District play starts within the next couple of weeks where they hope for success.

“Our preseason has been really hard this year,” said Samantha Page. “New Braunfels was mainly a bonding opportunity for us and we also did really good in our George Ranch Tournament. It was great that we won first.”

The Mustang Volleyball Team is very optimistic about what is to come this season. Utilizing key players, working together, and passion for the game seems like the perfect brew for a dominating season.

“We hope to make district and to go on to the regional tournament,” Senior Varsity player Hayden Carroll said. “We want to make it to at least the third round of playoffs, if not more, and to the state tournament.”