The Lariat

Hurricane Harvey Reunion

Back to Article
Back to Article

Hurricane Harvey Reunion

Kamrynn Hentges and Meredith Hoskens

Friendswood ISD hosted a reunion to recognize those affected and those who showed outstanding citizenship during the devastating Hurricane Harvey this past Sunday August 25. The event was hosted in the Friendswood High School cafeteria. Food and drinks were provided, and the community was encouraged to come and participate in the event.

“Videos from the storm’s aftermath played while people visit and talk with one another,” said Kelcey Purcell from the communications department at FHS. “Later on in the evening we heard from the Superintendent Thad Roher.” There was also a video message from Dierks Bentley played. The high school had played the very same one last year after the storm when the school was being used as a shelter. The video featured his song “Riser”, and showed the community coming together to help each other.

Friendswood residents showed an incredible amount of dedication during and after Harvey with their clean up efforts. “I couldn’t just sit there and not help with the clean up,” said Brianna Mullen, junior at Friendswood High School. “Harvey impacted so many, and I wanted to make sure I did my share in aiding those affected.” Many Friendswood ISD students helped tremendously with the post Harvey recovery.

“During the storm I was very scared and  I had no place to go,” a senior citizen in friendswood Texas said. “The high school provided me with shelter and supplies.” Friendswood High School was a prominent benefactor during the hurricane. Many considered it a sanctuary during the storm when they had nowhere else to go. With the help of the community, donations aided in the recovery for the victims.  

Only 20% of homeowners in this area have flood insurance. With one-third of the Friendswood homes flooded, the whole community felt the effect of this tragedy. This past commemoration allowed the community to unite and move past the tragedy, but never forget.