The Lariat

Seussical the Musical

Back to Article
Back to Article

Seussical the Musical

Erika Sykes, Writer and Editor

The theatre department here at Friendswood High School is kicking this year off with a fun and entertaining Seussical the Musical. The show incorporates several classic Dr. Seuss tales such as Horton Hears a Who and The Cat in the Hat to create an upbeat and playful presentation.

“The reason we really chose Seussical was the meaning behind it, and with all the seriousness going on with being in school, and the security measures being enforced, it really was a chance for students to use their imagination, to not feel so alone in this universe,” said Director Kathy Powdrell. 

After countless hours of rehearsal and work, the show finally opened this Saturday at 7:00 PM in the Myrlene Kennedy Auditorium. If you missed this past weekend’s showings, there will be more this upcoming weekend. Tickets will be available at the door for $15 and it is recommended to arrive at least 45 minutes early.

“I’m really excited to go see Seussical this weekend,” Kenzie Mikeska said. “I think it’ll be super fun and entertaining. I just need to make sure I get a good seat.”

Some key cast members involved in this show include Eric Jensen as The Cat and Michael Donovan as Horton. Preparation for this musical includes extensive after school commitment to which all students involved have dedicated their time to. Also, we must not forget the vastly important tech crew. They are responsible for building all the sets and making everything behind the curtain run smoothly.

“This is basically another job,” actress Lauren Ballard said. “People put on these shows for a living so doing it as a high school is so intense. A lot of it is student led.”

This year’s fun and new musical is sure to bring in mass crowds, especially in the younger age group. Because of the musical being based off classic children’s book, a much younger crowd than usual is expected to attend.

“Seussical appeals to younger kids because it is based off Dr. Seuss books,” Ballard said. “But it will also bring in parents and older kids who read the books growing up.”