The Lariat

The Theatre Department Presents A Christmas Carol

Back to Article
Back to Article

Kenzie Mikeska and Dani Fischer

Starting November 30, the Friendswood High School Theatre Department presented A Christmas Carol.

A Christmas Carol, by Charles Dickens, follows a selfish, avaricious man named Ebenezer Scrooge who is quite lacking when it comes to Christmas spirit. The show was directed by Amy Tones and Amy Thornton, and starred Fedor Aglyamov as Scrooge, Eric Jensen as Bob Cratchit and Viviana Mendoza as Tiny Tim.

“It’s incredible to be in a show that has such a rich history,” Aglyamov said. “There’s a reason why A Christmas Carol is a classic of the holiday season, since it reminds us how easily kindness can be given, and how much it can do for others and ourselves.”

This production was unlike any winter production that Friendswood has put on in the past.

“We tend to not do a big show in the studio, but rather a smaller show at this time of year,” director Amy Thornton said. “We had a small amount of time to pull this off, and doing this big of a show at this busy a time was quite the undertaking.”

The cast had rehearsed for the show for five weeks, sacrificing hours and energy for the final outcome of the performance. With hours of rehearsals and strenuous tech building days, it was quite a time commitment. To the cast and crew, however, their hard work was worth it.

“Being part of A Christmas Carol has been incredible,” Aglyamov said. “Everyone involved has been working tirelessly, and it’s so great to be among a group of people that are so dedicated and passionate about the show.”

The show was made suitable for an audience of all ages. In fact, Tiny Tim was played by eight-year-old Viviana Mendoza, the daughter of FHS teacher Carla Mendoza.

“It’s a classic! People brought their families and friends – it was great. At the end of the day, the show wasn’t just about Christmas,” Taylor Greny, one of the cast members, said. “That’s the backdrop, but it’s truly about spreading kindness, which I think is a really important message for society right now.”

Outside the curtains was a spectacular performance where the hard work obviously paid off, however behind the curtains is where the friendships and memories were truly made.

“My favorite part of the whole production was just being backstage with all my friends and being able to grow new friendships throughout the play,” freshman Grant Newman said.

A Christmas Carol is a timeless classic that will go beyond generations to retell a story over a simple life lesson we should all learn again and again.

“I do think there really is something terrifying about the show, but it has little to do with the physical form of the spirits,”Aglyamov said. “It’s the future that Charles Dickens warns us of, one where the rich are tyrants and the poor are uneducated and trapped, that is truly awful. But Dickens inspires hope with the show’s ending, and offers us the chance to escape such a fate.”

The hope of the Christmas Carol cast is that this Christmas, audience members would carry a new perspective on how the treatment of others can impact both themselves and others in small, yet significant ways.

*Compiled with help by Madison Reyes, Ashlyn Killian, Jordan Matejowsky and Audrey Tucker