The Lariat

Cheap, Fun Christmas Activities for the Holidays

Kamrynn Hentges and Meredith Hoskens, Writer and Editor

This year’s holiday season features many fun activities that can be done with friends and family.  Santa in the Park, the Christmas train, and the Dickinson Festival of Lights, are all affordable, nearby activities.

The Santa in the Park festival will be located at Stevenson park from 3-8pm on December 8th. This festival will have many activities including: a concert, a rock wall, bungee jumps, petting zoo, moonwalks, train rides, face painting, a parade, and much more! Admission to the park is free, but many activities require a $10 wristband.

One of the main attractions is the 40,000 lb snow hill. Photos with Santa will start at 3pm followed with the parade at 6pm. There will be food and beverages provided.

The Christmas Train is a fun-filled event located at Livingstone Church within the Alvin area. The train’s departure dates are December 7th-8th, December 13th-15th, and December 17th-23th. On weekdays, the event is open  from 6:30-9:30pm and on Fridays & Saturdays- 6:00-10pm. For the most efficient experience, purchase tickets as soon as possible. Tickets can be purchased online and will reserve you a place on your selected train.

The activity features an old-fashioned train ride through Christmas scenery and over 300,000 lights as well as hundreds of Christmas decorations. Before or after your train ride, you can go walk down a path for handmade pizza at Big Al’s Pizza Parlor, hot cocoa, cookies, popcorn, and cotton candy! Colorful gingerbread villages, penguin snow lands and life size storybook illustrations are all some of the scenes you and your family can experience.

This year will be the 21st annual Dickinson Festival of Lights. The festival runs from November 24th through December 23rd and will be open from 6pm to 8:30pm. The festival is a walk-through event at Paul Hopkins Park. Admission is free and parking and shuttle busses are free of charge. There will be around 2 million light sculptures throughout the park along with an opportunity to get a picture with Santa.