AP Senior English Presents Annual Poetry Museum

Back to Article
Back to Article

Seniors Paige Parker and Grace Connell

Seniors Paige Parker and Grace Connell

Seniors Paige Parker and Grace Connell

Seniors Paige Parker and Grace Connell

Macey Tannos, Writer and Editor

Friendswood High School is having their annual Poetry Museum, put on by the AP English IV students, this coming up Wednesday, January 23rd from 6:00 pm to 7:30 pm in the High School cafeteria.

Renae Simons, the AP English IV teacher, gave out the poetry museum assignments in late November. She has been watching her students put together the projects through the weeks and is excited for the day her students’ hard work is shown.

“I love to watch when they do their poetry presentations,” Simons says. “They are very creative. It stimulates an analysis through art, music, history, and they make it all connect.”

Students will be working alone or in groups of two, performing a 15 minute presentation over a poet of their choice. Each group will present about the chosen poet and what influenced that person’s work, along with one of their poems and an analysis of it.

“My partner and I, Olivia Rhodes, are presenting Robert Frost. We will have an interview clip of Frost, go over his life, his influences, and his criticisms,” Danielle Fischer said. “We will also have a slideshow with music playing and an audio clip of him reciting one of his poems.”

The students need to have decorations or props at their table that represent their poet.

“We chose to put out 4 fake Pulitzers, some dead flowers, a pamphlet we created, and a Robert Frost book,” Fischer said.

Bridget Tindal and Aiden Smith are presenting the poet Wilfred Owen in this years’ Poetry Museum.

“We use gas masks during our presentation because the poem we use is about a gas attack during WWI. We also have propaganda posters because everyone promoted the war during that time,” Tindal said. “Our poem is called ‘Dulce et Decorum Est’, meaning ‘it is sweet and fitting to die for one’s country,’ and the poem basically disproves that.”

Students not in the AP English IV classes are encouraged to attend the poetry museum and are offered extra credit in their own English classes for going. Students will be given worksheets when arriving at the museum, with fill in the blanks from their choice of two presentations.

“I’m going to see my friend Valerie Anderson in her presentation,” Adrianna Feaster said. “I’m excited to go since she’s been working on it for a while. I’ve been going to the museum since my freshman year, It’s always really fun to see everyones presentations and the different ways they express their poets.”

The museum is free and anyone is welcomed to come enjoy the students performances.