Boys’ Lacrosse Pushing Through a Rocky Start

Back to Article
Back to Article

Kenzie Mikeska, Editor

With the arrival of spring comes the beginning of the Friendswood boys’ lacrosse season. So far, the team has played five games and have won one against Gateway High School in Austin, Texas.

Although their season has gotten off with a rocky start, the team is optimistic that they will improve in the coming games.

“This season kind of started off a little rough,” senior Carson Davis said. “We are getting used to playing with each other now, and are getting better team chemistry.”

The team is comprised of a majority of newer, younger players who were pulled up due to the large amount of seniors who graduated last year.

“We lost a big senior class last season,” Coach TJ Benson said.  “We needed a lot of players to step up, and they have. We created a mentorship program within the team, which we feel has developed a family atmosphere.”

The team has implemented new ways to incorporate and help out the newer players and help them transition better to both the high school and varsity level.

“The upperclassman would do anything to help the newer players out, and our young kids pick up on that,” senior Captain William North said. “This team is the closest I’ve seen in all four years of playing at FHS.”

With the addition of so many new players, it has become more crucial than before that the upperclassman step into bigger leadership positions.

“My role as a senior is to help mentor the younger kids this year,” senior Captain Brady Buffington said.  “I remember during my freshman season the seniors really took us under their wings and helped us through that tough transition, and I hope to do the same.”

Although the team is comprised of a majority of relatively new players, the twelve seniors have played with each other for a considerably long time.

“I am very close with all of the seniors,” senior Cade Wedger said. “We have been playing with each other since fourth grade so we have been able to grow together for many years.”

Courtesy of Anna North

Five of these seniors are committed to play lacrosse at the college level: William North, Russell Langston, Brady Buffington, Jake Sansom, and Parker O’Leary. Although excited about playing in the next level, for some of these seniors playing their last year for Friendswood will be bittersweet.

“My teammates are like my brothers,” Parker O’Leary said. “I’m going to miss playing with all of them.”

In spite of a difficult start to the season, there are still more games to play and time to improve before the season has concluded. The team is optimistic, and district play is right around the corner.

“We still have two more games and spring break before we get into district play, which is a good chunk of time to prepare for our district schedule,” Benson said. “We look forward to our injured players returning to play, and increasing the depth of our roster.”