Water Polo Enters the Season with a Splash

The+Boys%27+Water+Polo+team+win+the+match+against+Texas+City+16-6.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

The Boys' Water Polo team win the match against Texas City 16-6.

Maddie Smith, Chief Editor

It’s that time of year again. Water polo games have started and the FHS teams are swimming toward victory early in the season.

Both girls’ and boys’ teams have obtained significant wins, with the girls’ team undefeated 12-0. They currently hold first place in district play. The boys are 10-2, with losses against very strong teams from the greater Houston area. Games of all difficulty levels are excitedly anticipated, as every match is a chance for learning and improvement. Both teams are expected to qualify for the state tournament that will be held in May.

“We look poised to make a deep run at the regional tournament at the end of April,” senior and team captain Daniel Nagle said.

Water polo doesn’t seem to receive enough credit, but overlookers might want to think twice. Players must be strong swimmers to handle the amount of activity and cooperation required in the pool. Constantly treading water and avoiding drowning by opposing players are at the core of water polo.

“Water polo is an amazing sport that is hard to describe. The only thing that best explains the game is that it is like soccer, rugby, and a little WWE wrestling in the pool,” Water Polo Coach Craig Sikkema said.

Many of the freshman who join the team are completely new to water polo, leaving a wide talent gap between players. However, seniors are more than happy to be mentors.

“I was elected team captain this year, so it has been an immense role to take on the leadership required with that. I try my hardest to be the best role model for the team that I can be,” senior Allison Proulx said.

The team dynamic of water polo is one of community and friendship. The fun of the sport commonly goes unnoticed, and members always encourage and welcome anyone interested.

“I have known lots ot people that ‘thought’ about playing, waited, then when they finally decided to play, were so glad they joined water polo. Don’t wait, come out and give it a try. You’ll be glad you did,” Sikkema said.