The Notre Dame Goes Up in Flames

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Notre Dame Goes Up in Flames

photo credit to wired.com

photo credit to wired.com

photo credit to wired.com

photo credit to wired.com

Jenna Tuggle, Writer

As renovations at Notre Dame began to take place, a roaring fire broke out just before 7pm on Monday evening and engulfed the roof in flames.

“A terrible fire is underway at Notre Dame Cathedral,”  Paris Mayor Anne Hidalgo said. “The fire brigade is trying to control the fire. We are mobilized locally in close connection with church authorities. I ask everyone to respect the security perimeter.”

France 24 field correspondent Charli James arrived at the scene shortly after the first reports of the blaze arrived.

“The blaze is not contained,” James reported from the scene. ”It looks like the olympic torch from the back. We are watching as pieces of the cathedral are falling off. Huge flames are pouring out of the top of the cathedral, and I’m seeing light grey and yellow smoke, and I can hear emergency vehicles from all around.”

The fire brigade arrived on the scene not long after James did, and attempted to put out the flames.

“I can now see the fire brigade pouring water on the roof, and I can see the hoses pouring onto the roof of the cathedral,” James said. “The fire brigades have now reached the flames in the back, but the middle is caving, and the famous spire has fallen.”

The cause of the blaze remains unclear, but government officials do not suspect terrorism or arson. The cathedral is one of Europe’s oldest religious sites.

“Some of the materials date back to the thirteenth century,” Architect Marc Mimram said. “When people think of how Notre Dame was made, they think of the stones along the outside. The structure in the middle, however, is made out of wood. [The firefight] is going to be very difficult, and it will last a long time.”

photo credit to rollingstone.com

French Interior Minister Christophe Castaner said exceptional measures are being taken to try to save the Notre Dame cathedral.

“Support and solidarity with the fire brigade mobilized to save our common heritage, in the heart of Paris. An exceptional force was deployed by the Paris police to neutralize this violent fire. I share the immense emotion of the Parisians,” Castaner tweeted.

Notre Dame is being restored, and a large sum of money has been donated for the reconstruction.

“They’ve already raised over a billion dollars for the rebuilding of the cathedral,” French teacher Jennifer Gray said. “It’s amazing how something like this can bring the best out of people.”

This isn’t the first time Notre Dame has caught fire, but people have been wondering about the measures being taken to ensure that the renovated cathedral doesn’t go through this again.

“I just hope they don’t rebuild it out of wood,” sophomore Eli Karg said in remarks to the rebuilding project. “I would hate for something like this to happen again in ten years because they didn’t take obvious measures to help fireproof it.”

The twelve-hour-long firefight is over, and a new dawn has come to see the Notre Dame restored.

“Notre Dame is our common heritage,” Former French President François Hollande tweeted. “It is a wound to see it devastated by flames. Respects to the firemen who extinguished the fire.”