Choir Students Prepare for Annual Popshow

Back to Article
Back to Article

Macey Tannos, Writer and Editor

Friendswood Choir is putting on their annual Popshow on May 4th and 5th at 7pm. The choirs started preparing for the show around a month ago, learning the music and then starting on choreography.

Seperate from their formal concerts, Popshow is the show where the choir students get to perform more popular songs, such as “Think” in the style of Adam Lambert performed by Vocal Ensemble, “Viva La Diva” in the style of Beyonce, Lady Gaga, and Britney Spears performed by Cantabile, and a more modern song, “Believer” in the style of Imagine Dragons performed by Campus Singers.

“So far our group numbers are coming together really well, I’m really starting to see the energy,” choir director Michael Tyer said. “We have a lot of energetic, upbeat performances here and they students are doing some really cool stuff.”

Each choir class has choreo captains that create the dances for the show. Senior Co-choreo Captain Lea Sharp is excited to have her class, Campus singers, perform their song.

“This year is a little different, all the choreo captains have made the dances more advanced this year, not just step touches,” Sharp said.

There is less rehearsal time for the show this year because of Tommy Tune Awards being so close to the show, with the change in this years dance difficulty, along with the time crunch, students are having to work harder in order to meet the deadline.

“I’ve been worried for a long time about the time crunch,” Tyer said. “But, I think a lot of the choirs were able to start early, even when we were doing our UIL music we were able to touch on it. With Mrs.Smith and I being able to sit down and figure out a schedule for the week of popshow to get everything cleaned up, we got everything pegged down really well so we can get everything in.”

The classes have all had time to work on their class numbers and openers, but rehearsal for the combined girls and combined boys numbers won’t begin until tech week.

“I think we’re going to be pushing it a little with the guys and girls number,” senior Erin Vaughn said. “But, if we put in the work I think it’ll be okay”

The show will also include performances by the choirs acapella group, Chamber Singers, a choir parent number, and ending the show with a song from the seniors, saying farewell to the program they’ve kept so close to their heart.

“This choir has really taught me a lot about leadership, and has inspired me to go further in music,” senior Tommy Rabalais said. “It’s going to be really hard to say goodbye to it all.”

Tickets are $10 and can be bought at the door the day of the show.