Choir Dominates District Auditions

Back to Article
Back to Article

Choir Dominates District Auditions

Madison Reyes

Two weeks ago on September 21, the Friendswood Choir Department took fifty-two singers to Angleton High School for the much anticipated District Auditions, the first round of auditions that start off the All-State Process. Forty-one of their singers will advance to what is known as Region Auditions. This next round of auditions will take place on October 16 at Clear Lake High School.

“I am proud to have such talented singers in my choir,” Choir Director Michael Tyer said. “I can’t wait to see what they do with the opportunity presented to them.”

This year, there was a multitude of students auditioning for the first time, hoping to successfully make it through to the next round of auditions. This year, Junior Bailey Cloyd tried out for the first time, proving that it is never too late to give the District Auditions a try. 

“I was surprised to move on to the next round,” Cloyd said. “The part I tried out for is extremely competitive, so it feels great to move on, especially since this was my first time auditioning.”

There is also a large amount of returning singers hoping to maintain their previous positions or improve how they’ve done compared to past years. Junior Sydney Skinner has gone through this process for the past three years, but this year she approaches the All-State Process with a specific goal in mind.

“I was ecstatic when I found out I was advancing to Region Auditions,” Skinner said. “My goal this year is to be an All-Stater, and getting confirmation that I was well on the road to success made me feel relieved.”

The All-State Process has five rounds of auditions all together: District, Region, Pre-Area, Area, and All-State. Singers have the summer to learn all of the pieces that they may possibly audition with, however they only have to sing certain songs and cuts for the auditions. Singers have about a month between each audition to learn these cuts.

“The process takes a lot of individual work,” Choir Director Melissa Smith said. “I’m hoping that each student is spending at least half an hour to an hour each day singing through, marking things that are still not coming easily, and getting more and more comfortable and expressive each time they sing it through.”

The All-State Process is a long and difficult musical journey. However, the most important part is the experience and what students take away.

“My expectations for all of these auditions are for students to do the best that they are capable of doing,” Tyer said. “If they have learned something and become a better singer, my goal for them has been met.”