White Noise Addresses Teen Issues

Back to Article
Back to Article

White Noise Addresses Teen Issues

Audrey Tucker

As a new generation, we face a new set of trials. Mental health challenges that weren’t as prevalent in our parents generation are daily struggles that our parents and educators haven’t experienced. The students in our theatre program have taken on the task of sharing our voice. Real students addressing real issues takes form in the FHS production White Noise. 

White Noise premiered Thursday, September 26. The production is student written and performed.

“After hurricane harvey, I decided to have students write and perform what their experiences were,” theatre director Kathy Powdrell said. “It was surprising how much they had to say, and that’s how the inspiration of student written scenes started.”  

The theatre program continued to do free write events, including a poetry slam.

“These kids started writing about stress, GPAs, being overworked and feeling like a number. Some students wrote about life at home, being overwhelmed and not getting to focus on family,” Powdrell said. “I started listening to them and I said we need to develop a whole piece on this.” 

White Noise has brought a much needed awareness to our community’s mind and has built a launch pad for better student-to-student and student-to-teacher interactions.

“My mindset changed during this project by knowing that you truly don’t know what is going on in someone’s life based on how they act or look,” says performer Maris Morgan.“It also gave the theatre department an outlet to share stories.” 

An important message is being passed in our community. 

“I didn’t know how real people could be,” said audience member Bishop Hilton. “It was amazing to see my friends and people I see every day stand up and speak for something important. I think it has taught people a great lesson on how to interact.” 

Growing up brings a questioning of identity. White Noise and the whole theatre program are reminders that in the end, we are all just kids. They have given a voice and reminded us of the importance of community. 

“Stories are our voices to tell our peers they aren’t alone,” says Morgan. “We can get through our problems by choosing joy.”