The Lariat

Filed under News

S.O.S. Club Always Welcoming New Members

One does not usually look forward to sending an S.O.S. But for five students at FHS, these letters represent something far different. Salute Our Soldiers, a rising club in Friendswood High School known as S.O.S., holds projects dedicated to honoring and serving current and fallen soldiers.

In 2013, students began noticing a gap in clubs at the High School, so two seniors, Brittany Morgan and Audrey O’Neal decided to create S.O.S. club. “They wanted to find a way to give back to their community,” the sponsor of S.O.S. Mr. Tag said.

The club strives to find ways to show their appreciation for military families through student-led volunteer service projects. The club has had a rocky climb and decline. The club had previously grown to 20 members during its first two years, but has dwindled as most of the original members graduated. 

I hope that we see students continue to be involved in the club,” Mr.Tag said. “Not only as participants in our volunteer projects, but also as leaders of the club to form a base from which to grow.”.

The club has affected so many families in our community, and has significance to the members serving. Especially since as of January 2015, there are close to 1.4 million people serving in the U.S. armed forces. It seems fitting to have a club dedicated to helping the families affected by those serving. There are so many ways to help in our community, whether it’s a volunteer project or a small act of kindness.

Joining the club will give you many opportunities to give back. One of the yearly service projects the club holds is the wreath hanging at VA Houston’s National Cemetery. Some other projects they also have lined up for the year are, military fundraiser golf tournaments, and shipping care packages to troops serving overseas.

If you are hoping to join for the upcoming projects or the club itself. S.O.S. holds meeting after school every other Wednesday in Mr.Tag’s MCS classroom, room 901. S.O.S. encourages anyone and everyone to come help out, join and make a difference!